Debut Art Show – April 14, 2012 Opening @ Taxi CDC (2148 Sunset Blvd LA)
“The ‘Reckoning” refers to the combination of the words: Wrecking and Recognizing. In order to recognize a new revelation, epiphany or change, things must be “wrecked” in our life. Something drastic happens that causes us to rethink, re-imagine what life could be like in our next season. Sometimes the “wrecking” is tragic and maddening while other times, it is happy and joyful. However, in my life, most of the “wrecking” first appeared to be disappointing, confusing, and awful. Nothing happened the way I planned; but those disappointments led me to greater truths, wisdom, and awareness of who I am, what I wanted from my life, and the issues around me. I learned to be thankful in all circumstances and to cherish the things that really matter in life: people and love.
Sometimes we need to be wrecked in order to recognize beauty.
What causes you to recognize something important in your life?
1. Passion– “Dreaming of when the morning comes, lost within an eclipse, falling, tangle of dance and playing”. Medium: Gouache, water color, color pencil, pen, markers.
2. Love At First Growth – This painting defines the beauty and ugliness of growth. Heard of growth spurts? Medium: Acrylic on canvas.
3. Hunting For Freedom – Light, renewal, being. On my search for freedom, I realized that freedom exists within us. Settling and going was all the same if I didn’t have freedom in my heart. Medium: Acrylic on Canvas.
4. Leap Year- The bunny is transformed as it takes a step of faith, a leap into the unknown. Her landing is transitional, becoming. In another space and time, she is simply sitting, being herself. She is contemplative, peaceful. The tree next to her represents the complexities of life, growth, thought and relationships. Yet, amidst it all, she is still.
5. Frozen Magnetism– A chord, a string. It represents continuity, sometimes death, tying knots. It is the tension of not knowing and going forward. It is the tension of pulling and pushing in a relationship, the tension of love, the risk of loving someone and giving them freedom to be. It is the tension of realizing you are not in control. Medium: Acrylic and Rope on Canvas.
6. Forgiving The Silence – This painting comes from a personal journey of not seeing my father for 10 years. The colors, strokes, lines seek to express emotions an artist can’t put into words. Forgiving the silence is about the wrecking, the recognizing, the letting go and foremost, the forgiving.
7. Cups of Wrath– Beep, Redial, cups of wrath, greed, starvation, human desires becoming a prison of entanglement. This drawing seeks to understand what imprisons us and keeps us from living our dreams. Many of us long to live the life we were created for, but we always feel dissatisfied, incomplete. Medium: Water color, acrylic, color pencil, pen.
8. Beauty in Chaos – I shall be telling this with a sigh. Somewhere ages and ages hence: two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference”- Robert Frost. Love, paint, pain. The different shapes are Germany, Japan, Taiwan and California. The colors are like the world, this represents my journey in moving and traveling to different countries.
9. Hot Commodity- The essence of truth and commodity. Medium: cardboard & acrylic.
Please note: All artwork is copyrighted. To purchase prints please email me: firstname.lastname@example.org